The University of Nicosia, School of Law the Center for European and International Affairs, and the University of Nicosia Global Semesters invite submissions for the EMSI 2018 International Conference.
We are pleased to announce the call for papers for the forthcoming EMSI 2018 International Conference.
The Eastern Mediterranean Studies Initiative (EMSI) aims to enhance international academic collaboration relating to the geopolitics of the Eastern Mediterranean. This is the third year in a row that the EMSI International Conference will take place.
The 2018 conference will focus on the various aspects of Eastern Mediterranean Studies. Below is an indicative list of subject-matter which the conference will address:
- European integration, including migration policies, multi-culturalism, Euro crisis, EU and its Mediterranean neighbors, and EU governance
- Conflict analysis and resolution, including nationalism, ethnic conflict, and peace and security studies
- Greco-Turkish relations
- Perspectives on the Cyprus Question
- Southern and Eastern Mediterranean studies
- Middle Eastern challenges and dilemmas
- Energy security and geopolitics
- Great Power involvement in the Eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East and its repercussions
- The rise of new ideological forces and the disintegration of regional state.
- The Mediterranean between East and West
- Perspectives on the economic crisis in Greece
- Political and ideological trends in Turkey: Kemalism, Islamism and Neo-Ottomanism
- The challenges of the Israeli Society
- The Arab-Israeli dispute in the broader strategic context
- The politics of Islamism – philosophical/ideological dimensions, secular/religious divide
- Realpolitik and ISIS
Interested scholars should email an abstract no longer than 750 words by January 15, 2018 to email@example.com.
Submissions should include on a separate page the name of the author(s), their affiliation, e-mail address, paper title and a brief bio, and be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All abstracts will be peer reviewed. Interested scholars who proceed to submission of an abstract prior to the deadline may be notified in advance whether their paper has been accepted for presentation at the conference, so as to enable their preparation for travelling to the conference.
Registration fees for participation in the conference are 90 euros and include a copy of the programme, participation in the academic sessions, lunch, coffee breaks, two lunches, one dinner and a tour of Nicosia.
Participants are responsible for securing their own funding for travel and lodging.
The working days of the conference are June 22-23, 2018.
We are interested in papers that examine both the theoretical foundations and the practical consequences of the challenges confronting the Eastern Mediterranean. We invite scholars from different disciplines, including political science, international relations, European studies, political marketing, political economy, sociology, social anthropology, law, media and communication studies to take part in the discussion.
Amongst the aims of the conference is the publication of an edited volume, with selected contributions from its participants. Selected papers will also be published in the Eastern Mediterranean Geopolitical Review and the Cyprus Review.